This is a large brick building, pleasantly situated on a gentle rise, at one time environed with trees. Below the house is a rocky valley through which a small brook passes. The old mansion house was a Parliamentary garrison and suffered great destruction during the siege of Chester.
In the fourteenth century, the manor of Bache was held by the Donecaster family. They obtained the land from families in Upton during the reign of Edward II. The next owners, the Chauntrells, held the manor from the Abbot and Convent of St. Werburgh and, after the Reformation, from the Dean and Chapter. Here are two references to the family from the Parish Registers of St. Oswald's Church, Chester:-
1. 1588 George Chauntrell, son to William Chauntrell of the bache, Bapt. 7 Jul. 2. From the Register of Burial. Mrs. Jane Chauntrell, wife of Mr. Laurence of the beache septa 6 Dec. 1586.
Another reference occurs in a list showing the "disposition of gentlemen of Cheshire how they affected in religion" in 1580.
Thus: "William Chauntrell Esq., (Bache) - well aff."
In 1606 it was purchased by Edward Whitby, who in 1613 was chosen as Recorder of Chester. There are records In St. Oswald's Church of the baptisms of children of the family in 1654 and 1655.
From the Whitbys the estate passed, partly by purchase and partly by marriage, to the Cromptons. On 20th April, 1709 Robert Crompton was appointed one of the auditors at a meeting of the Parishioners of St. Oswald's to appoint those who should "serve the offices in the said parish."
About 1716 the manor passed, by an heiress of the Cromptons, to the Morgans of Golden Grove, Flintshire. Descendents of the Crompton family lived at The Oaks, Upton, for several years prior to 1934. In the 1770s the Morgans sold Bache Manor to Samuel James Brodhurst of Chester. The property descended successively to various members of his family who took the name of Brodhurst. One was a soldier General Jenks, who owned it in the early nineteenth century.
In 1874 Samuel Broadhurst Hill sold the estate to the Hudson family. Various claimants, who were descendants of the first Brodhurst, appeared, and there were disputes as to the ownership of the property. One in 1877"''actually cut down the gate at Bache Hall, but never appeared to follow this up with any further claims; having made his protest, he retired. The Broadhursts, who owned Bache Hall during the greater part of the nineteenth century did not reside there for any length of time, and let the estate to various tenants.
A Major Macgillicuddy followed the Hudson family. Then in 1911 Bache Hall was bought by the Mental Home. It was used as a Nurses' Home for many years until 1939 when a Nursesí Home was built in the grounds. Recently the Hall has been renovated and redecorated and, we understand, will be used for domestic purposes by the Mental Home.
The grounds of Bache Hall have been the scene of many festivities. Flower shows are remembered by many residents in the Bache. The ravine lent Itself to the making of a very picturesque scene with fairy lights in the trees and over a little bridge put across Flookersbrook, a replica of the Willow Pattern plate. Today there are new houses in the grounds leading to the Hall, known as the Bache Hall Estate.